Instructor/Assistant Professor (Full time)
Andem I. Effiong
2878 South Delaware Street, Englewood, CO 80110
Contact Phone: 720-220-6665
U.S. Visa Status:
Permanent Resident (Green Card)
- My objective is to contribute positively to any organization that engages my services as a trained and experienced administrator/educator with knowledge and innovative skills, in order to facilitate success and growth of the organization and new learning opportunities for me as an individual.
July, 2006 to December, 2013
n Senior Lecturer and Head of Department (Marketing), University of Calabar, Nigeria.
- Taught undergraduate (B.Sc.) and graduate (MBA & M.Sc.) in marketing, consumer behavior, international marketing, management, insurance, and entrepreneurship.
- Supervised examinations at the end of semesters.
- Chaired departmental academic meetings.
- Attended and participated in university senate meetings monthly to discuss academic, administrative, and operational issues affecting the university and employees.
- Designed and developed 21 new academic courses in management, marketing, enterprise risk management, and entrepreneurship in collaboration with other faculty members in the department.
- Mentored undergraduate and graduate students on how to be successful and the need to maintain high academic standards.
- Actively contributed in writing of three chapters in a text book on Entrepreneurship Development for Students and Practitioners; and another four chapters in Marketing Management: Text and Cases.
- Participated in planning and implementation of university convocations/commencement activities.
August, 2003 to June, 2006
n Special Adviser to the Governor of Cross River State of Nigeria.
- Designed and supervised the implementation social entrepreneurship programs for unemployed youths.
- Developed a blueprint for unemployment and small enterprise risk reduction programs in Cross River State of Nigeria.
- Supervised training and development of youths for vocational and career planning.
- Developed career linkages and employment opportunities for the youths.
- Related with appropriate funding institutions for entrepreneurship training and business development for new-start-ups.
- Advised the Governor on the existing business situations and the strategies to reduce unemployment and contingent losses in the state’s public enterprises.
January, 2000 to July, 2003
n Lead Trainer and Consultant, Enterprise Africa (UNDP/UNOPS) and Country Representative (Nigeria) for British Executive Services Overseas (BESO).
- Developed training modules on entrepreneurship and small enterprise risk management for UNDP assisted project entrepreneurs.
- Organized executive training programs in major cities in Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, and Botswana.
- Analyzed training needs of beneficiaries of UNDP funding programs
- Prepared training reports.
- Managed the Nigerian office of Enterprise Africa (UNDP/UNOPS) as a Director of Enterprise Nigeria Foundation.
- Recruited corporate clients for BESO.
- Designed and implemented organizational re-engineering and loss prevention programs for BESO clients.
February, 1997 to December, 1999
n Managing Consultant /Chief Lecturer Ondo State Polytechnic, Nistech Center, Lagos Nigeria
- Planned, organized, and control academic as well as administrative activities in the college.
- Supervised admission of students for ordinary national diploma (OND) and higher national diploma (HND) programs.
- Taught marketing, risk management, and strategic management courses to undergraduate students.
- Supervised terminal and final examinations.
- Coordinated examination results for onward transmission to the college headquarters in Ondo State, Nigeria.
May, 1989 to January, 1997
n Chief Management Development Officer/Resident Consultant , Center for Management Development, Lagos Nigeria
- Supervised and organized executive training programs for managers
- Managed the Eastern Regional Office of the center.
- Developed training modules in management, entrepreneurship, marketing, enterprise risk assessment.
- Conducted training needs assessment for companies.
- Conducted job evaluations and develop incentive schemes for client organizations.
- Taught management courses in the Executive MBA program organized in collaboration with University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
September, 1984 to April, 1989
n Assistant Lecturer, University of Lagos, Lagos Nigeria
- Taught marketing management, market research, and general management courses.
October, 1978 to March, 1984
n Lecturer/Consultant 1, Nigerian Institute of Management, Lagos Nigeria.
- Organized training programs for executives from various organizations at in-plant and classroom levels in marketing, strategic management, human resources management, and risk management.
September 1976 to July 1978
n Marketing Manager, Manila Insurance Company Limited, Calabar Nigeria.
- Planned, organized and controlled marketing activities for the company.
- Supervised agency staff.
- Attended and participated in corporate meetings and conferences
- Prepared annual marketing and sales plans.
- Monitored sales targets.
January 1975 to August 1976
n Corporate Accountant/Risk Analyst, American International Credit Company (AICCO)
- Assessed credit risks for AIG products funding.
- Assessed credit records of clients and made recommendation for funding or rejection of applications.
- Liaised with banks and other organizations concerning credit checks and clients balances.
- Prepared credit risk analysis reports.
- Prepared daily/monthly accounting and financial preliminary reports.
September 2011 to April 2014
n Doctor of Business Administration (DBA, candidate) Business Administration and Management, Wilmington University, New Castle DE 19720.
Dissertation topic: Perceived Influence of Internal Marketing on Employee Commitment in a Private University Context—chapters1-3 of dissertation completed and approved.
September 1985 to June 1989
n Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.), Marketing Management, University of Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria.
Dissertation top: Effects of Political Uncertainty on the Marketing Strategies of Manufacturing Firms.
September 1971 to June, 1976
n Master of Business Administration (MBA, Enterprise Risk Management), The College of Insurance, St. John’s University, New York, USA
Thesis topic: Financial Approach to Corporate Risk Resolution: Empirical Evidence from a Multinational Corporation.
n Bachelor of Business Administration, (BBA, Insurance), The College of Insurance, St. John’s University, New York, USA
Professional Affiliations and Honors
Member, Academy of Marketing Science, USA
Member, Institute of Certified Management Consultants, USA
Member, Risk and Insurance Management Society, USA
Member, Chartered Institute of Marketing (MCIM) UK
Member, Nigeria Institute of Training and Development (NITAD)
Member, National Institute of Marketing, Nigeria
Fellow, Institute of Management Consultants of Nigeria (FIMCN)
Fellow of the British Council
Member, Nigerian Institute of Management, Chartered (CNIM)
Member, Statistical Association of Nigeria (MSAN)
Adviser, International Biographical Society, Cambridge, England
Best Country Representative Award (BESO, 2003)
Who is who in Nigeria (1991-1995)
Who is who in Africa (1995-2000)
Who is who in the world (1995-2000)
Advanced Training in Management Consultancy Practice, Urwick Management Center, Slough-London England (1978)
General Management Training, Sunridge Park Management Center, Bromley-Kent, England (1978).
Marketing and Sales Management, Urwick Management Center, Bromley-Kent, England (1978).
Entrepreneurship Development Course, Center for Management Development, Lagos Nigeria.
Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management, Empretec Ghana Foundation (UNDP--2004)
Analysis and Design of Information Systems, British Overseas Development Agency and the British Council, London, England (1990)
Commercial Systems Analysis Course, Hoskyns Education Center, Bournemouth, England (1990)
Project Leading Course, Hoskyns Education Center, Bournemouth, England
Effiong, A. I. (1987). Attitudes of the Nigerian entrepreneurs towards the marketing
concept. Fredrick Ebert Foundation Seminar Papers, Lagos, Nigeria: University of
Iyanda, O. A., & Effiong, A. I. (1988). Export marketing during structural adjustment
program. Nigerian Journal of Marketing, vol. 7(3), 21-32.
Effiong, A. I. (1990). Risk elements in marketing management. In Marketing Theory for
Practitioners, O. A. Iyanda (Ed.). Ibadan, Nigeria: Heinemann Publications. ISBN
Effiong, A. I. (1990). Marketing company image and the Nigerian society. In Marketing
Theory for Practitioners, O. A. Iyanda (Ed). Ibadan, Nigeria: Heinemann
Publications. ISBN 97812955368.
Akerele, A. O., & Effiong, A. I. (1992). Human resource development as a strategy for
economic development. Conference paper, Jos, Nigeria: Industrial Training Fund.
Effiong, A. I. (1994). Human resource development: A framework for training needs
evaluation. ITF Journal of Training and Development, 7 (2), 9-16.
Achumba, I. C., & Effiong, A. I. (1998). Marketing strategy: Emphasis and orientation of
companies in Nigeria. Business and Management Journal, vol. 2(6), 12-24.
Effiong, A. I. (2009). Entrepreneurship theory. In Entrepreneurship Development for
Students and Practitioners, E. J. Etuk and D. Mbat (Eds.). Calabar, Nigeria:
University of Calabar Press.
Effiong, A. I. (2009). Antecedents and consequences of entrepreneurial business
failure. In Entrepreneurship Development for Students and Practitioners, E. J. Etuk
and D. Mbat (Eds.). Calabar, Nigeria: University of Calabar Press.
Effiong, A. I. (2009). New business idea generation. In Entrepreneurship Development
for Students and Practitioners, E. J Etuk and D. Mbat (Eds.). Calabar, Nigeria:
University of Calabar Press.
Effiong, A. N., & Effiong, A. I. (2012). Palliative care for the management of chronic
illness: A systematic review study protocol. British Medical Journal, London, UK:
Effiong, A. I. (2014). Managing reputation risk and situational crisis. Independent
Journal of Management and Production, vol. 5(2), 1-22.
**Plus over 60 papers presented in training conferences and seminars in Nigeria, Ghana, Botswana, and Kenya between 1983 and 2005.
- Professor Hang Xing, Ph.D.
Waltham, MA -Phone# office: 7817362361, mobile: 5107085318
- Sherry Scanlon, Ed.D.
Online Program Coordinator
. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
. -Phone# 3023566717
- Rev. Dr. Frederick M. Thompson -Phone# 6099371997
- Mr. Sam Waltz
- Professor Godwin Udoh,
University of Texas at El Paso